Sunday, March 10, 2013

My New Family

When you marry someone you're also married into their family. I know that's already common sense, but some people hate their in laws and don't ever want to be associated w/ them. I don't think that's healthy for the marriage. I know that there are certain circumstances/situations where people don't talk to other family members, but I'm not talking about those kinds of families. I'm talking about where your average husband and wife were raised by an average family, and the husband/wife hates the others family for some reason.
I love the family that I am getting. I have been accepted and loved by Chris's mom's side and his dad's side. I have lived w/ Chris's mom now for over 2yrs, and yes, there are times where she can drive me crazy, and she knows that, but I love her and I am super grateful that she has let me live here w/ her and Chris. I love talking to her about what's happened in the day and what's been going on in general. I can also look to her for a good hug when I need one. She's a really good hugger :D
Chris's dad is fantastic. It sucks that he is all the way in Texas and we only get to see him so much a year, but when we do get to see him we always have such an amazing time. I love seeing how much Chris loves his dad when they're together. I also love Chris's step mom. She is super fun and is so easy to talk to, but I can talk to anyone w/ ease, it's just if they can talk back w/ ease to me is what I love. She also loves dolphins as much as I love penguins. She's just a fun person to be around.
I'm also getting a sister. Missy is amazing. She is one of my bridesmaids, and she lives out in Texas as well. If it wasn't for her and Rachel Clanton I wouldn't be marrying Chris. They pushed me to ask him out (if you remember from my Love Story post).
I have visited w/ Chris's mom's side a lot more since they live in this area. Ever since I spent my first Christmas w/ Chris w/in a couple of months of us going out they have just loved me and welcomed me w/ open arms. They like to know what's been going on in my life and just talking to me.
Chris's dad's side lives a little south from where we currently live, and by a little south I mean close to 3hrs. We've gone there for Thanksgiving an Christmas as much as we can. Chris's dad's brothers and sisters are a little more spread out, but a number of them live close to Clanton (almost right in the middle of Birmingham and Montgomery). They have had the same welcoming and loving attitude. No one has ever shown that they don't like me or anything.
There are a few people on Chris's dad's side that I haven't met, bc they live up on Pennsylvania, but I do get to meet one for the wedding, and I have met his Uncle Ric (he's up there) earlier this past year, bc he was visiting down in Clanton, and I couldn't wait to meet him. We got along great bc he drank red wine and made stuffed mushrooms.
I can't wait to see a lot of this new family that I get to gain at the wedding, and sadly there will be some family that can't make it, and that's okay! I understand that completely. I can't wait to see the family that won't be able to make it, and see them as an official part of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment