When I was in 5th grade I took jazz and ballet. I had to quit ballet though, because my ankles weren't always agreeing w/ me. I probably saved myself from an early ankle surgery if I had continued. Another reason why I quit was because there were some very mean girls that were in my class as well, and I really didn't like being bullied all the time. I continued w/ jazz and there was only one other girl in my class, and the student teacher choreographed our whole routine for the recital. Our real dance instructor was hardly ever there, and I never really liked her, and I'm kinda glad that this school isn't around anymore. If I had continued w/ dance my mom said she would've moved me to the Dance Company.
I gave up dance in the 6th grade when I chose band. I never regret this decision. I love band, and I miss marching band every now and then. I don't miss band camp in the middle of the summer though and taking bets on how many rookies would pass out. I had a lot of friends on the dance team, and a very good friend named Maddy. I wanted to try out for the dance team my freshman year going into sophomore year. Maddy helped teach me as much as she could in a 2 week period. I didn't make it on to the team, but I think that it was best since it would've interfered w/ marching band.
My senior year I took culinary instead of concert band, and made a wonderful friend named Kaitlyn. She introduced Chris and me to ballroom dancing. I loved it. It was on a Halloween and her instructors were such wonderful leaders that I felt awesome doing a waltz and a tango. We have also learned how to swing.
We have continued the swing dancing since Katie has introduced us to this community. We also have a good friend that we've known since high school in it as well, and he goes and does competitions. He is helping Chris and I learn some more for the wedding. Katie is going to help us waltz better since we only know the basic steps and no turning or anything like that. Chris loves dancing w/ me. He hated the dancing we did in high school where it was just grinding and sexual. I didn't really care, because that's what everyone was doing. I can't wait for everyone that Chris and I love to see us dancing. It's going to be amazing.
I do find myself missing ballet though. I have so many friends that did ballet and went pretty far into it. I always wanted to try point, but after my ankle surgery in 2009 I don't know if that will ever be possible. I sometimes do some of the warm ups that we would do in class. I can still keep my arches up and do a pliet. I hope that I can one day find a beginners adult ballet class and just start all over. I miss dance so much sometimes. I really think if I had stayed w/ it I would've been really good, but then I would've never stayed in band and I wouldn't have half the friends that I have now.
Dance is wonderful. It's an awesome way to show emotion or to tell a story. I love it and I miss it so much sometimes, but I am so thankful that I do have someone that loves to dance w/ me when we do get the chances to go out and dance :)
No comments:
Post a Comment