When I graduated from high school I was all about becoming a lawyer. I wasn't 100% what kind of lawyer I wanted to be, but I thought that I wanted to be a lawyer. When I started out at UAH I was going to go for a Poli/Sci major, but I dropped out in about 2 months.
That winter my grandparents put me through CNA training, and I fell in love. I loved taking care of people. The reason why they put me through it was so that I could help my mom more efficiently. My mom had had a knee replacement surgery a little while after I had graduated from high school, and wasn't getting much better. I was her home care for the longest time. When I was in the CNA training I learned a lot about nurses and some differences b/t BSN and RNs.
I started going to Calhoun in the spring of 2010 and I was only taking some easy classes at first since I hadn't been in school for over a year. Once the fall of 2010 came I was signed up for my first human anatomy class. I had Dr. D. This professor kicked my butt. After I failed my first lab practical miserably I went back and started to pick up my game. I really began to adore this teacher. I made a lot of good friends in that class, and if it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have passed that class. I didn't have her for my second anatomy class, but I did have her for my microbiology class, and she got her doctorate as a microbiologist. The way she taught this class was awesome. She made the 8:30am labs worth it and interesting. I saw her clap and yell for me last May when I got my A.S. in biology. She is the coolest teacher I have ever had the joy of having. She made me want to be better.
When I really started to think about nursing I started thinking about Jesus. He healed people when he was here. I want to help heal people. My mom always says that I have a "soothing touch". I sometimes think that she's just being a bit biased, but I hope that it's true. I hope that I can help heal people. I want to help save lives and show people my compassion.
I started thinking about what field of nursing I would want to go into, and then I thought automatically, trauma. I sometimes think that I am ADD. I can't focus for too long, and that's why i think trauma would work for me. I wouldn't be w/ a patient for too long. I would be bouncing back and forth and running across the hospital making those 12hr shifts fly by. I would be right there were I could save some lives. I know that I will also lose lives w/ this job, and I have a feeling that it will upset me, but the lives that I save will remind me why I'm doing what I'm doing. I have no problem w/ blood or needles. The only thing that kinda freaks me out is a compound fracture (where the bone has penetrated the skin and is visible). Those make me feel a little uneasy.
Nursing school is going to be competitive. I've applied to Calhoun's nursing program twice and I have been denied each time. I've decided that once Chris and I figure out where we're going I'm going to just start all over on my bio classes. I got Cs in my anatomy classes and my micro classes. Nursing schools usually want As in those. I can do it. I know I can. I want to be able to wear scrubs every day.
I'm going to go for my RN, and maybe one day my BSN, and if I ever get bored I may one day decide to become a doctor, but that takes FOREVER! If I do become a doctor I would like to be a surgeon or an anesthesiologist. There are nurse anesthesiologists, but I would need to get my BSN and go through some serious competition for that. If I just want to get a doctorate and not be a doctor I think I would like to get it in microbiology or something dealing w/ rare and special diseases and research those.
The way the human body works is amazing. It's a miracle that happens w/ every heart beat and every intake of breath. The way that we are woven together is so beautiful and fascinating, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want to know more about how they work.
No comments:
Post a Comment