Thursday, March 21, 2013

Books and Reading

If you have gotten to know me then you know that I read, and I read a lot. I have to read before I go to sleep. It helps relax me, even though I may stay up a bit to get through "just one more chapter".
I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower and it was amazing. There is a quote that I found somewhere and it kinda goes like "That moment when I finish a book, and look up and notice everyone going on w/ their life like I didn't just suffer serious emotional trauma," and that's how that book made me feel. I hate that feeling of being so sad and bummed when you finish such an amazing book. You finish it and put it down and just wonder what to do next.
There are a few books that have done that to me, and almost all of them are by John Green, and they are  The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, and some more are the Hunger Games Trilogy and Harry Potter. I'm sure that there are plenty more that I haven't listed. The Fault in Our Stars was the hardest book, emotionally, that I have read. I have never cried like that when I've read a book. Harry Potter made me cry a lot, but this book really puts you into the stories and you really know these characters and then it just rips your heart out.
I like reading fantasy novels, and I still read teen novels. I like love stories, but I don't like romance novels. I'm not into reading that kind of stuff, and that's why I still read a lot of teen novels, because they keep everything PG-13 for the most part. I have read a few R rated novels, but for story purposes and not "romance" reasons.
I've been trying to read more classics as well. I'm working on getting through The Great Gatsby right now and then after this I want to look into reading This Side of Paradise and 1984. There are plenty of other classics I want to read as well. I would like to read most of the Jane Austen novels as well, and if I can ever build up the patience I think I would like to try John Steinbeck again. My 11th grade honors english class KILLED that book for me. It did the same w/ The Great Gatsby, but I kinda actually liked that story. I had to read East of Eden and...ugh. That's all I can say about that book. It was so long and it just seemed so boring to me as well. There are still a few more that I want to read. I also want to read all of Shakespeare's plays.
I love reading. It takes me out of my world and puts me in the world of this story. I felt like I was in Pittsburgh when I was reading Perks of Being a Wallflower and I was w/ Charlie through everything that he went through. I was there for all of his laughs, tears, and finally his freedom. This is one of my new favorite books. I love it when books keep me thinking about them after I have finished them, and I love it when movies do the same as well. There are books that I read that stay w/ me forever, and characters that just haunt me, and I love it. I love it when an author is that talented that their stories become a constant part of your life.
Feel free to comment w/ any book recommendations for me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment